Benefits of Oral Appliances
Sleep Apnea Treatment from The Brace Place Benefits Sleepless Snorers
Healthy teeth, healthy gums and also…healthy sleep! When it comes to oral health care, patients turn to me for guidance, and many learn that a visit to The Brace Place can also help improve their sleep.
I practice dental sleep medicine, which is a growing segment of dentistry that focuses on managing snoring and sleep apnea with oral appliance therapy. An oral appliance is an effective alternative to the standard continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine and mask.
Oral appliance therapy uses a mouth guard-like device worn only during sleep to maintain an open, unobstructed airway by supporting the jaw in a forward position. Many medical insurance plans, including Medicare, cover oral appliances. First, a physician must diagnose you with obstructive sleep apnea and prescribe oral appliance therapy for you. Then, I can work with you to select the best oral appliance for your needs. I will custom-fit the device using impressions and models of your teeth.
Many patients prefer oral appliance therapy as a solution for living with sleep apnea. It provides them much improved sleep and offers the following benefits:
- Comfort – It can be hard to sleep with a CPAP machine and bulky mask. Patients often like oral appliances because they are comfortable and easier to wear, especially for those who change positions during sleep or snuggle their bed partner.
· Quiet – A CPAP machine may silence the snoring, but its constantly running motor might not help you or your bed partner sleep more soundly. Oral appliance therapy is a silent option that can minimize the symptoms of sleep apnea, such as loud snoring, without making a peep of its own.
- Easy Travel – It can be difficult to travel with a bulky CPAP machine. A compact, lightweight oral appliance can help lessen your load.
- Low-maintenance – It is super easy to care for an oral appliance. Just a toothbrush cleaning with mild soap will keep your appliance germ-complimentary.\
- Effective Treatment– Research shows that oral appliance therapy is an effective alternative to CPAP. When patients consistently wear their oral appliance, they wake up each morning feeling refreshed.
For those of you seeking treatments for snoring and sleep apnea, schedule a consultation by calling 410-749-2933 or requesting an appointment online at https://www.drcrousesbraceplace.com/office-info/appointment-request.aspx. We can work together to get you sleeping more soundly!