8 Myths About Invisalign
8 MYTHS REGARDING ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT WITH INVISALIGN
1. If my doctor does Invisalign they must be an orthodontist. Any dentist can provide treatment with Invisalign with a minimal amount of training and knowledge of orthodontic treatment. Choosing a doctor that is a university trained orthodontist ensures that your doctor has the knowledge to give you a great result in a reasonable amount of time. The Invisalign site lists both orthodontists and general dentist providers.
2. All orthodontists are pretty much the same in regard to their knowledge of Invisalign treatment. There is a wide variation in the level of knowledge and experience of Invisalign treatment among orthodontists. When the Invisalign appliance first came out it was only recommended for adults with mild crowding or spacing. The techniques and knowledge of orthodontists that have been using Invisalign long term has grown by leaps and bounds. However, there are many orthodontists that have been slow to adopt Invisalign treatment into their practices and limit who they offer Invisalign to.
3. Invisalign costs much more than traditional braces. Actually in most orthodontic offices, the cost of Invisalign treatment should be comparable to traditional braces.
4. Orthodontic treatment with Invisalign takes longer than traditional braces. There are some orthodontic problems that are more efficiently treated with traditional braces. However, in most cases, treatment time with Invisalign should be similar to traditional braces. In some cases it’s significantly faster.
5. Treatment results with Invisalign are not as good as traditional braces. If you have your treatment done with an orthodontist that has experience with Invisalign, the result should be as good as with traditional braces.
6. Invisalign can’t correct severe orthodontic problems. Experienced orthodontists are offering Invisalign treatment to virtually all of their patients including those with severe crowding that requires removal of teeth or severe “overbites”.
7. Invisalign trays make you talk funny. Most people don’t have any problem speaking normally with aligners. Some people experience a slight lisp that disappears within a couple of days. The key to success is keeping the aligners in and talking with them in.
Invisalign is only for adults. Many orthodontists are offering Invisalign to all of their comprehensive orthodontic patients. Patients as young as 11 years old have been treated with much success. The most important key to successful treatment is full time wear of the aligners. This is an ability that doesn’t appear to be age dependent. Some people do well with a removable appliance and some do not.